1. MARY TOBIN was born on 26 April 1858 in Gerringong, NSW.(NSW 8026/1958). She died on 23 Dec. 1938 in North Perth, W.A. (WA 23/1938). She married ALEXANDER McPHERSON DUNCAN 8 July 1900 W.A. (WA 527/1900); At her death, she was a widow. Buried with sister Alice at Karrakatta Cemetery Perth, Sect. HA No. 0807
2. ELIZABETH (Lizzie) TOBIN was born in c.1860 (Sydney according to her marriage certificate; age calculated from death cert.). She died on 3 Aug. 1928 in Swan View, Perth, WA. (WA 68/1928). She married DR. KARL AUGUST EDWARD ROMMEIS in 1881 Qld. (QLD 1881/C691)- he died 3 Oct 1901.
Both buried Karrakatta Cemetery Perth with mother Mary Tobin, Historical Section AA, No. 0368
Issue- Christian Frederick b.1882 d.1943; Mary Dorothy b. 1884 d.infancy; Stephen Edward b.1886 d.1891; Eunice Elizabeth b.1887 d.1894; Dorothy Mary b.1889 d.? m. 1915 to R. Farrar; Joyce Alice b. 1890 d.1894; Monica/Mona b. 1892 d.1972 m. 1913 William L. Hoops; Edward b/d 1896; Edward Anslem b/d 1897.
3. LOUISA TOBIN was born 20 Sept 1861 in Gerringong, NSW(NSW 8278/1861). She died 7 Aug. 1931 in Bundanoon NSW (NSW 13648/1931); unmarried.
4. ELLEN VERONICA (Nellie) TOBIN was born in 1863 in Gerringong, NSW (NSW 8553/1863). She died 13 Aug. 1942 in Parkerville, W.A. (WA 107/1942). Married 10 Dec. 1883 WILLIAM PHILPOTT in Brisbane QLD (QLD 1883/B8616). He died 22 Aug 1925 aged 81. Buried together Karrakatta Cemetery Perth, Sect. DA No. 0530.
Issue: Frances Mary b.1884 d.1928; Noel William b. 1886 d?; Beryl Vyvyan b.1888 d.1911; Adrian Wylde b.1890 d.1918.
5. KATHERINE MARY TOBIN was born 8 April 1865 in Gerringong, NSW (NSW 9690/1865). She died on 16 Aug.1901 in Waverley, Sydney, NSW (NSW 11806/1901). She married FERDINAND ADOLPH GEORGE POULSEN on 19 May 1886 in Brisbane QLD (QLD 1886/C959), son of Lars Poulsen and Charlotte Fredrikke Gudmundsen of Denmark. He was born 3 July 1860 in Copenhagen Denmark (Danish BDM Records online). He died 8 July 1932 in Sydney, NSW (NSW 13563/1932). Buried in family grave at Waverley Cemetery- Graves No. 2281 and 2282.
Issue: Marjorie Vaughn b.1887, m. 1913 Arthur te Kloot; Eileen Beatrice b.1888, m.1924 William Spain; Theodore Sylvestor b.1890 d.1965, m.1915 Maude Leydon; Myra Lillian b.1892 d.1949, m. 1916 Philip Nott; Raymond Horace b.1894, d 1922, unm.; Nellie b/d/1896
6. JOHN CONWAY TOBIN was born in 1866 Gerringong/Kiama, NSW (NSW 9637/1866). He died 10 June 1944 in Shenton Park WA (WA 1184/1944). He married 1906 ANNIE KIERSE (of Ballarat) in WA (WA 387/1906). Buried Karrakatta Cemetery Perth, Sect. KC NO. 0123
7. ALICE GABRIELLE TOBIN was born 20 July 1868 in Gerringong NSW (NSW 10657/1868). She died on 29 Aug. 1952 in Mt Lawley WA (WA 2107/1952). She married 12 July 1897 GEORGE NEEDOM HYDE in WA (1082/1897), son of Thomas Hyde Esq. of 'Fairview' KIlkenny Ireland. George died in Bendigo 1957 aged 90. Alice buried Karrakatta Cemetery with sister Mary, Sect. HA No. 0807.
Issue: Brian b.1897; Patricia b.c.1910.
8. STEPHEN WILLIAM TOBIN was born on 23 Dec. 1870 in Queensland (probably Nerang) (QLD 1871/B12063). He died in 1924 Sth Melbourne VIC (VIC 2681/1924). He married ANN MARY AUSTIN in 1911 Victoria (VIC 9603/1911).
No known issue.
9. CHARLES FREDERICK TOBIN was born 16 May 1873 in Tallebudgera Creek, Qld (QLD 1873/C1768). He died 9 January 1925 Darwin N.T. (Northern Territory Times and Gazette, 9 Jan 1925, p.4). He married MARY MANFORD (aka Grace Emily Mitchell- 1877-1956) on 6 Nov. 1907 at Coolgardie WA (WA 14/1907). Mary Tobin buried Karrakatta Cemetery Sect. ZN No. 0289.
Issue: John Eric b.1907 at Menzies WA., d. 1979 at Northam WA, married 1945; Frederick Charles Anthony b.1910 d.1995, m. 1943 Carola Aloyisa Folly (1910-1989).
(NB. some Ancestry.com records have Charles married to Grace Emily Mitchell- all Electoral Rolls and newspaper articles name his wife as 'Mary'. However, John Eric's death record names his mother as 'Grace' and father as 'Jack', yet her burial at Karrakatta Cemetery names her as Mary, grantee: Frederick Charles Tobin.)
10. HERBERT PATRICK TOBIN was born 2 June 1875 at Tallebudgera Qld (QLD 1875/C1878). He died 17 July 1956 in Perth WA (WA 1829/1956). He married 21 Oct. 1899 EVA MADELINE MACFARLANE in WA (WA 1626/1899) She died 30 January 1933 . Buried together in family grave at Karrakatta Cemetery Perth, Historical Sect. AA, No. 0218A, with son Harold
Issue: Dorothy Louise b.1900 d.1988; Alfred Herbert b.1901 d.1930; Harold Victor b.1906 d.28/10/1993 (burial Karrakatta Cemetery); Stephen William b.1913 d.22/9/1970 (aka Cedric William Tobin- see burial record of Stephen Wm at Karrakatta Cemetery); Lillian May Josephine d.?; Eva Jean d.?
11. LILY MARGARET TOBIN was born 25 May 1877 in Tallebudgera Qld (QLD 1877/C3136). She died 10 Nov. 1955 in Mossvale NSW (NSW 32624/1955). She was unmarried.
During his time in Gerringong, Stephen would display his strength of character and political interests. The first mention of Stephen Tobin in a long list of newspaper articles came less than two years after his arrival.
Stephen would appear to have developed a close relationship with the Berry family (NB The Coolangatta mentioned refers to the estate of David Berry south of Gerringong, not its namesake at the Gold Coast adjacent to the Tweed)
There are newspaper reports on the fortnightly meetings of the Council during 1866 in which Alderman Tobin plays a prominent part. There are too many to transcribe here.
Sydney Morning Herald Wed 7 Feb 1866 p4
Sydney Morning Herald Sat 26 May 1866 p4
A series of open ‘addresses’ to the Rev. D.J D’Arcy were presented by the Catholic parishioners of the district thanking him for his service to the community, including an address from the Catholics of Kiama Gerringong and Jamberoo, to which he replied to “My very dear friends of Kiama &c.”, addressing the letter to J.M. Nolan, Thomas Hanley, T. McIntyre, J. Farrahar, J. Fechin, Alderman Tobin, D. Moloney and C. McCaffery Esquires.
Stephen resigned from his aldermanic role in the Kiama Council at the beginning of April 1867 after the annual election was held in February, reason unknown. He was still active in the March Council meeting. It may have been frustration that the Kiama area was being favoured with roads, public baths and a library, over the needs of the Gerringong residents, yet paying equal rates, which he appears to indicate on several instances in 1867-68.
Kiama Independent and Shoalhaven Advertiser, Thurs 11 April 1867 p2
Kiama Independent and Shoalhaven Advertiser, Thurs 21 January 1868 p3
The Sydney Morning Herald Wed 26 Aug 1868 p2
Kiama Independent and Shoalhaven Advertiser, Thurs 22 October 1868 p2
Stephen advertised a "CLEARING-OUT SALE" for his leasehold, stock and furniture in the Kiama Independent and Shoalhaven Advertiser on Thursday 27 January 1870 page 3.
Stephen's decision to move to the Nerang area of Queensland may have been influenced by Samuel William Gray, a prominent Kiama landowner (see map above) who came to the Tweed district in 1862 and selected land on the Walumban Plain near Nerang township in 1866. A number of Gray's tenant farmers followed him to Queensland. Stephen would also influence a number of Berry's tenant farmers to join him at Tallebudgera, including his sister Catherine Guinea and her family.
The Guineas had moved to the Braidwood area in 1861 which would bring them into close contact and marital ties with two rather infamous families- the Clarkes and the O’Connells- renowned in the local district as bushrangers. This story is dealt with in a later chapter.
The Tobin's obviously retained very fond memories of their former home on the Berry estate in the district of Illawarra, naming their farm at Tallebudgera, 'Mayberry'. In her latter years, Mary Tobin would name her home in Perth, 'Illawarra'.
Link back to Introduction:
Links to all other chapters in this blog:
Tobin and Driscoll family in Tipperary Ireland
Tobin family settle in Gerringong, NSW, Australia in 1857
Tobin family settle in Tallebudgera Queensland in 1870
Life at Tallebudgera for the Tobin Family until 1892
Tobin family move back to NSW and Western Australia- deaths of Stephen and Mary
Stephen Tobin's sister Catherine Tobin- marriage to Timothy Guinea
Bushrangers in the family
Stephen Tobin's sister Ellen Tobin- an Irish female orphan immigrant in 1850
Stephen Tobin's daughter Katherine Tobin- marriage to Adolph Poulsen
Sons of Stephen Tobin and Mary Driscoll
Daughters of Stephen Tobin and Mary Driscoll
Irish Roots of Tobins, Driscolls, O'Briens, and Whites