29 March 2013

Stephen Tobin- Ch:12- daughters of Stephen & Mary

Stephen and Mary Tobin had seven daughters.
Daughter KATHERINE TOBIN’S life was outlined in Chapter 10.

This chapter deals with the lives of their other six daughters.


MARY TOBIN was born on 26 Apr 1858 in Gerringong, NSW.[i] She died on 23 Dec 1938 in North Perth, WA.[ii] She married ALEXANDER MCPHERSON DUNCAN  8 Jul 1900 at Menzies, West Australia,[iii]
No issue.

In 1889 Mary took over as Post Mistress of the Tallebudgera Post Office. For how long she stayed with the Postal Service is unknown, but she must have gone with her parents to Perth, and  married Alexander Duncan in Menzies W.A.
The notice in the West Australian Thurs 12 July 1900 p.4:
DUNCAN-TOBIN- On the 8th inst. at Menzies by the Rev. W. Dooley, Alexander MacPherson Duncan, of Mount Malcolm, to Mary Tobin of Illawarra, Goderich street Perth. 
The house 'Illawarra' was the home of her mother.

How she met Alexander is unknown, but notably, Mary was 42 years of age when she married him. Her death certificate states she was a widow. There are three records of deaths of Alexander Duncans in the W.A. records:
i) Alexander Duncan, d.1906, Beverley
ii) Alexander Duncan, d.1913 N. Coolgardie
iii) Alexander Dillon Duncan, d.1902 
No information has been found on this marriage which appears to have been of short duration.
Mary was buried in Karrakatta cemetery with her sister Alice Hyde- Sect. HA, No. 0807.


LOUISA TOBIN, born in Gerringong, NSW, on 20 September 1861,[iv], and LILY MARGARET TOBIN, born in Tallebudgera, QLD, on 25 May 1877,[vi],, remained spinsters. Louisa followed the family's long association with the Postal Service, begun by her father, followed by her elder sister Mary, at Tallebudgera. Louisa was firstly posted to Mulgoa, NSW (near Penrith) on 13 October 1884, and was then transferred to Bundanoon in late 1899, where she remained for the remainder of her life. Her youngest sister Lily was appointed assistant Post Mistress. She and Lily looked after their father following his stroke until his peaceful death months later.

After Louisa's death on  7 August 1931 in Bundanoon/MossVale,[v]Lily lived her later years in the Bundanoon Hotel, dying on 10 November 1951 at Moss Vale/Bowral.[vii]  
The Will of Lily Margaret Tobin, apart from other bequests, said:
To my grand-nephew and godson Niall Spain, the sum of one hundred pounds absolutely; to my grand-nephew Anthony (Philip) Nott of Mobray St. New Farm, Brisbane, the sum of one hundred pounds. Mrs Eileen Spain (nee Poulsen- her niece) and Haille Hands Paine Solicitor, named as Executors, each to receive one hundred pounds.

Postal Department's re-location expenses for Louisa Tobin

Post Office Appointments

The following obituary appeared in the Scrutineer & Berrima District Press, Wed. 12 August 1931 p2:


ELIZABETH (Lizzie) TOBIN was born in c. 1860 in Sydney, NSW.viii] She died on 3 August 1928 in Talbot Road,  Swan View, Perth, W.A..[ix] She married DR. KARL AUGUST EDWARD ROMMEIS in 1881 QLD.[x].
Issue- Christian Frederick b.1882, d.1943; Mary Dorothy b.1884, d. infancy; Stephen Edward b.1886 d.1891; Eunice Elizabeth b.1887 d.1894; Dorothy Mary b.1889, m.1915 to R. Farrar, d.?; Joyce Alice b.1890, d.1894; Monica/Mona b.1892, m.1913 William L. Hoops, d.1972; Edward b/d.1896; Edward Anslem b/d.1897.

Elizabeth Tobin married Karl August Edward Rommeis (known as Edward) on 14 July 1881 at the Royal Mail Hotel Nerang, QLD, her father Stephen Tobin's hotel.

(The following information on the Rommeis family courtesy of D. and J. Moss)

Karl August Edward Rommeis was the son of Christian Friedrich Rommeis and Anna Elizabeth Marker. Karl was born in Chidruff Saxony, Germany c.1853. They also had a daughter named Anna who was born in Gotha Saxony Germany. They migrated to Australia, landing in Adelaide on Thursday 17 February 1870 on the 'San Francisco' from Hamburg.
South Australian Register, Fri 18 Feb. 1870- Shipping Intelligence
The San Francisco is a Barque, 600 tons, from Hamberg October 28th 1869. The passengers were... Christian, Elizabeth, Ann and Edward Rommeisz (sic), between decks. There were only 14 passengers on board. The barque's voyage has been an ordinary one,... And not even the customary continuance of gales across the Southern Ocean is reported.

Friedrich Rommeis, a carpenter (although described as an 'architect' on his son's marriage record), died in April 1878, aged 61 years, in Hahndorf in South Australia and was buried in St. Michael's Church cemetery on 11 April 1878. Daughter Anna was married in 1876 to Johann Herman Gotthilf Schneemilch, a carpenter, in Adelaide, by the Lutheran Pastor in the Lutheran Bethlehem Church. A witness was her brother E. Rommeis, who was described as a 'book binder'.

The South Australian Advertiser Wed 12 April 1871 reported that E. Rommeis received an award for history in the German School in Wakefield Street, Adelaide.

Sometime between Friedrich's death in April 1878 and 1879, the family, which included Anna, her husband Johann and their son August Otto (b.1877) and Elizabeth Rommeis, and Karl August Edward Rommeis left Hahndorf on a German Cart (viz. a large wooden cart, with smaller front wheels pulled by a couple of horses- descendants claim the information had been handed down) and eventually arrived at Kalkie just outside Bundaberg in Queensland.  This would have been a long, difficult journey. Anna and Johann's daughter was born in Kalkie in January 1880.  Anna's husband Johann died and she remarried to Edward Zollinger, a farmer at Kalkie. Anna, a nurse, died in Kalkie in 1915, and had three surviving children by her first husband.
Whether Edward Rommeis went all the way to Bundaberg or stopped near the border at Nerang to set up his practice as a doctor, is unknown. He was living, and practising medicine, at Nerang by 1881.

Where and when Edward Rommeis trained in medicine is unknown. He was described as a 'book binder' in Adelaide in 1876 and they left for Queensland  around 1879, so it would seem likely that he gained his qualifications during that period of time.
In the Brisbane Courier, 2 November 1881, Dr. Rommeis, Nerang Creek, donated a piece of fossil wood and fish (Mureoua Picta) to the Queensland Museum.

Dr Edward Rommeis married Elizabeth Tobin, second daughter of Stephen and Mary Tobin, in Nerang in 1881.
Brisbane Courier, Thurs 18 August 1881
ROMMEIS-TOBIN- On 14th July at Nerang by Rev. B. Scortechini, Karl A. E. Rommeis, M.D. of Saxe-Coberg, Gotha, to Elizabeth, 2nd daughter of Stephen Tobin of Nerang.
Their marriage certificate reveals that they were married at the Royal Mail Hotel (Elizabeth's father's hotel), and that Edward's place of abode was Nerang. He was 28 years of age and she was 20. Edward must have converted to Catholicism to be married by a Catholic priest. Notably, his brother-in-law Adolph Poulsen who married Elizabeth's sister Katherine, also changed his religion from Lutheran to Catholic.

Between 1890 and 1892, Edward and Elizabeth moved to the other side of the country, to Western Australia. They were the first of the family to do so, and most of the Tobin family would follow them in the years to come. Their sixth daughter Joyce was born in Nerang in 1890, and their seventh child Monica/Mona was born in Jarrahdale W.A. in 1892.

Dr. Rommeis has a number of mentions in the W.A. newspapers:

The Daily News (Perth) Fri 2 June 1893 p3
The small pox scare has not affected us much. The Government medical officer of the district Dr Lovegrove, had a notice posted at the commencement of the epidemic that he would visit us and vaccinate, yet we have neither seen nor heard from him since. Most of the children and adults have had the operation performed successfully by the Company’s medical officer Dr Rommeis, to whom all praise is due for his assiduity in the performance of this and other duties in connection with the company. It is reported that he is about to leave us. On the eve of his departure I believe it is the intention of his many friends to give him a “Social” which he richly deserves, and a very pleasant evening will be spent, of which I hope to be able to give you a report.

West Australian, Tues 13 October 1896
Dr Rommeis, who has for long been favourably known in Jarrahdale and the surrounding district, has taken a house in Subiaco, and intends commencing practice in that suburb at an early date.

West Australian, Wed 11 November 1896
Dr Rommeis (late of Jarrahdale) has commenced the Practice of his profession at Subiaco, opposite Government school, and may be consulted from 8 to 10 a.m., 3 to 4 p.m., and 7 to 8 p.m.

In July 1897, Edward gave his sister-in-law Alice Tobin away at her wedding to George Needom  Hyde, due to the fact that Alice's father had gone to Sydney to clear his name at Court. (Western Mail, Fri 16 July 1897 p.11). The reception was given at Alice and Elizabeth's mother's home, named 'Illawarra', in Goderich Street, East Perth.

In 1898, Dr Rommeis gave evidence at an inquest for a 17 year old youth who  shot himself in the head outside the Railway Hotel.  Edward who was at the hotel, was called to help and had then taken the injured boy to his home nearby where he expired. The boy had been distraught on hearing  that he was illegitimate. (West Australian, Fri 17 June 1989 p.5)

He was mentioned in the obituary for a young 23 year old woman who had died after a long illness. It said "she was skilfully treated by Dr. Rommeis of North Freemantle but all efforts were unavailing". (Western Mail, Fri 23 Sept 1898 P.41)

Dr Rommeis was also called to treat two cyclists who collided causing severe injuries. (The Inquirer and Commercial News, Fri 23 Sept 1898 )

West Australian, Fri 20 May 1899 p2
Local Board of Health.
The council sitting as a local board of health, received a letter from Dr Rommeis accepting the position of health officer. The doctor, who was in attendance, said that so far 12 cases of typhoid had been reported. He had made an inspection of the premises in each case, and the only reason he could assign for the outbreak was the water. At all the places well water was being used. The drainage polluted the whole surface, and it did not matter where they put down a well they would get polluted water. The water supply of Freemantle also was most unwholesome. The greater part of the sickness amongst children was due to the Freemantle water where used. So far he had not had time to inquire into the matter fully. Etc. etc. On a motion of Cr. Riley a vote of thanks was accorded Dr Rommeis for accepting the position.

West Australian, Sat 19 Aug 1899 p10.
North Fremantle Municipal Council Meeting.
The Sanitary Site Question: The health officer Dr Rommeis said that the health of the town was very satisfactory. Two cases of chicken-pox had been reported, but absolutely no other sickness. He had visited the sanitary site and found it in a perfectly clean condition. Etc.  

Daily News (Perth), Sat 10 Feb 1900 p7.
North Freemantle Council.
The Health Officer.Owing to the reported absence of Dr Rommeis, the health officer, at Kalgoorlie, it was resolved to communicate with him and ask whether it was his intention to resign his appointment. In the case of Dr Rommeis resigning, the town clerk was instructed to invite applications for the position of health officer at a salary of £20 per year.

Kalgoorlie Miner, Wed 3 July 1901 p.6.
Kanowna July 2.
A meeting of the United Friendly Societies was held last evening to consider the appointment of a medical officer to the societies. After going through the qualifications of wach of the candidates, it was decided to appoint Dr Rommeis, of Claremont, who stated in his application that he could take up his duties without delay. Dr Rommeis leaves for Kanowna to-morrow evening, and will be met by several of the leading officers of the societies on his arrival.

Kalgoorlie Western Argus Tues 23 July 1901 p11.
Kanowna July 10.
Dr Rommeis, the newly appointed medical officer for the United Friendly Societies here, is to arrive from Claremont by to-day’s express. The medico was expected some time ago, but it now appears that business of a pressing nature had detained him until now.

Kalgoorlie Miner Wed 24 July 1901 p6.
Kanowna July 23.
Dr Rommeis, the newly appointed medical officer to the local friendly societies, has arrived in Kanowna. The medico was met at the station by several of the council, representing both the Druids and the Forresters.

West Australian, Fri 4 Oct 1901 p4.
ROMMEIS- the friends of the late Dr Edward Rommeis, late of Jarrahdale, W.A., are respectfully invited to follow his remains to the place of interment, the Roman Catholic Cemetery Karrakatta. The funeral is appointed to leave his late residence 120 Goderich Street, East Perth, at a quarter to 11 o’clock this morning.
Notably Mary Tobin (mother),  William and Nellie Philpott, and Edward and Elizabeth Rommeis, all lived in Goderich Street at various times.

West Australian, Sat 4 Aug 1928 p1.
ROMMEIS- The Friends of the late Mrs Elizabeth Rommeis, of Talbot Road, Swan View, are respectfully invited to follow her remains to the place of interment, the Roman Catholic portion of the Karrakatta Cemetery. Etc.

NB. Edward and Elizabeth Rommeis are buried in a family grave with Elizabeth’s mother Mary Tobin in the RC Historical Section AA Grave No. 0368 at Karrakatta Cemetery.

West Australian, Tues 15 October 1901.
Karl August Edward Rommeis. Re Claims or Demands upon or against the Estate of Karl August Edward Rommeis, late of Kanowna and Perth, Doctor of Medicine, deceased, intestate, who died on the 3rd October 1901, at Perth aforesaid, (and Letters of Administration on whose Estate were granted by the Supreme Court of Western Australia to Elizabeth Rommeis of Goderich Street Perth) etc. Elizabeth died 27 years later in 1828, aged 68 years. She was living at 68 Talbot Road, Swan View, north Perth.  

The Rommeis had settled in Jarrahdale. A history of the town, gives the following information:
Governor Weld in the late 1860s was to stimulate the establishment and growth of an important timber industry in this state by granting long term leases or concessions. A group of investors in Victoria, including the Wanliss brothers, William and Thomas, were to be granted a 100,000 ha timber concession in June 1871. The Jarrahdale Station Syndicate thus came into being with a land lease stretching from Byford in the north, almost to North Dandelup in the south and east to include most of the Canning River watershed. After many name changes it became the Rockingham Jarrah Timber Co. The town ship was originally called the Jarrahdale Station.  

The town itself had responded quickly to a growing population; Jarrahdale was in the late 1890s the fourth largest community in the state after Perth, Bunbury and Kalgoorlie. It now had a Wesleyan Methodist church, a new school at Cousens Street, a police presence in the town with police quarters, court house and goal, a hospital for the mill workers which was financed by them, a resident doctor (Dr Rommies), a post offlice (now the museum) St Paul's Church of England built in 1895. Most buildings including the small public hall, a large hall with a stage, the library, were, with the exception of one house, all under the control of the Company. Note, too, there were post receiving offices and bush schools at outlying saw mills. By the 1900s, Jarrahdale had a town population of about 1200 people while 800 more were housed in surrounding bush landings and remote sites.


ELLEN VERONICA (Nellie) TOBIN was born in 1863 in Gerringong, NSW.[xi] She died on 13 Aug 1942 in Parkerville WA.[xii] She married 10 Dec 1883 WILLIAM PHILPOTT in Brisbane QLD.[xiii]
Issue: Frances Mary b.1884 d.1928, Noel William b.1886 d.?, Beryl Vyvyan b 1888 d.1911, Adrian Wylde b.1890 d.1918

In 1866, Henry Schneider, and William and Charles Philpott, “all Oxford University men” (History of Nerang), arrived at Nerang. On the bank of the Nerang River, the Birribi estate was originally owned by the Philpott Brothers who grew sugar cane there.
The Philpott’s owned sugar cane and timber mills on the Nerang River, and built the ship ‘Maid of Sker’ in 1884 to transport timber from their mill to Brisbane. An Inventory of Sawmills in Qld (written by John Kerr in Jan 1998- www.daff.gov.au, page 145) lists the Philpott Brothers owning a sawmill at Nerang between 1887 and 1893.

William Philpott, born in Severn Stokes, Worcestershire, England in 1844, was the son of Henry Charles Philpott, an Anglican Clergyman. In the 1851 England Census, Henry Charles Philpott, curate of Severn Stokes, Worcestershire, his wife Anne, and 6 children including William 7 and Charles 5, were living in Severn Stokes. In the 1861 Census, William was a student at Magdalen College Oxford University. Five years later he and his brother migrated to Queensland.

William was 39 years of age and Nellie was just 20 years of age when they married at St. Stephens RC Cathedral in Brisbane. Once again, a husband who must have converted to Catholicism. Their marriage certificate describes him as a 'sugar planter'.

In 1903 Electoral Roll, William and Nellie were living at 132 Goderich St East Perth, occupation- clerk. This address was in the same street as Mary Tobin and Elizabeth Rommeis.

In 1910, they were living at Tammin, subdistrict Northam, district of Swan, occupation- farmer.

They were still there in 1916, living with their son Adrian Philpott, also a farmer. Adrian died just two years later.

In 1925, they were living in Roseberry Ave, subdistrict of Canning, Sth Perth, occupation- retired. This was the same address where Nellie's mother died in 1913.
(NB at the same time another William Philpott, labourer, lived in Cottosloe Beach Fremantle with his wife Martha.)

William Philpott died in Perth in 1925 [xiv] and was buried at Karrakatta cemetery in RC Section DA Grave 0530, in which his wife Nellie was also buried after her death aged 79 in 1942.


 ALICE GABRIELLE TOBIN was born on 20 July 1868 in Gerringong, NSW.[xv] She died on 29 August 1952 in Mt Lawley W.A..[xvi] She married on 12 July 1897 GEORGE NEEDOM HYDE in W.A. [xvii], the son of Thomas Hyde Esq. of 'Fairview' Kilkenny, Ireland.
Issue: Brian b.1897; Patricia b.c.1910.

Western Mail Fri 16 July 1897 p11.
WEDDING- a number of friends congregated at the Catholic Cathedral on Monday to witness the marriage of Mr G.N. Hyde, of the Public Works, Geraldton, and Miss Alice Tobin of Illawarra, Goderich Street (East Perth). The bride, who was given away by Dr Rommeis, wore her travelling dress of brown cloth with violet velvet bolero and cream satin vest, She was attended by her sister, Miss Tobin, attired in a pretty costume of prune and pale blue, After the ceremony, the guests assembled at the residence of the bride’s mother, Illawarra, to drink the health and tender their congratulations to the newly-wedded pair. Mr and Mrs Hyde left Perth in the mail train for Geraldton, their future home.

Within a short time after their wedding, Alice travelled to Sydney to be a witness for her father at his trial in August 1897.

In the 1910 Electoral Roll, George and Alice were living at 34 Clifton Street, North Perth; occupation- civil servant.

In 1916, they were living in Kintale Road, Applecross, subdistrict of Canning, district of Freemantle; occupation- civil servant.

In 1925, George was living in Dwards, subdistrict of Beverley, district of Swan; occupation costs clerk, wife not listed.

In 1936, George, retired, was living with Alice and daughter Patricia Mary Hyde, typiste, at 224 Walcott Street, subdistrict Maylands, district of Perth. The following year, their daughter was no longer listed with them. They continued to live at this address, as shown in the 1943 and 1949 Electoral Rolls. Nellie died at this address in 1952 and was buried at Karrakatta Cemetery Perth, RC Section HA grave 0807, with her elder sister Mary Duncan who had died in 1937. 

In the 1954 Electoral Roll, George Needom Hyde was living in Eaglehawk, Bendigo, nil occupation. He died in Bendigo three years later, in 1957, aged 90.[xviii]  

© B A Butler

Email contact  butler1802 @hotmail.com  (no spaces)

Link back to Introduction:

Links to all other chapters in this blog:

Tobin and Driscoll family in Tipperary Ireland

Tobin family settle in Gerringong, NSW, Australia in 1857

Tobin family settle in Tallebudgera Queensland in 1870

Life at Tallebudgera for the Tobin Family until 1892

Tobin family move back to NSW and Western Australia- deaths of Stephen and Mary

Stephen Tobin's sister Catherine Tobin- marriage to Timothy Guinea

Bushrangers in the family

Stephen Tobin's sister Ellen Tobin- an Irish female orphan immigrant in 1850

Stephen Tobin's daughter Katherine Tobin- marriage to Adolph Poulsen

Sons of Stephen Tobin and Mary Driscoll

Daughters of Stephen Tobin and Mary Driscoll

Irish Roots of Tobins, Driscolls, O'Briens, and Whites

[i] NSW 8026/1958
[ii] WA 23/1938
[iii] WA 527/1900
[iv] NSW 8278/1861 and Postal Office Record
[v] NSW 13648/1931
[vi] QLD 1877/C3136
[vii] NSW 32624/1955
[viii] Age calculated from death certificate WA 68/1928 aged 68 yrs
[ix] WA 68/1928
[x] QLD 1881/C691
[xi] NSW 8553/1863
[xii] WA 107/1942
[xiii] QLD 1883/B8616
[xiv] WA 1113/1925
[xv] NSW 10657/1868
[xvi] WA 2107/1952
[xvii] WA 1082/1897
[xviii] VIC 21441/1957